Tuesday, July 15, 2008

a new baby in the family...

Jonah has adopted a new baby from Ethiopia. Her name is undecided as yet because both baby and daddy got tired and needed to go to bed. It was so sweet. At first he was not sure he could touch her. I handed him the bottle and asked him to feed the baby and voila! instant daddy! In the bottom picture he is rocking baby to sleep.

I know some might think it's weird that I bought my son a baby but I ask you this- Is it fair that we encourage girls to be good mommy's but not boys to be good daddy's? Is it no wonder that boys aren't as maternal? I'm not saying that giving Jonah a baby doll now is going to make him a good daddy but I think it will teach him more gentleness. I'm not into the whole non-genderizing phenomena that's going on. I think there is a possibility that in our efforts to "un-gender" we will just confuse the natural process of things, but I think the overall idea of balance has some good points.

Take a look at what a good daddy Jonah is. Ok so he did bite the babies hand a little bit but he was gentle for the most part. My boy is a sweetie and I loves him so much!



Um, yes that is Jonah's baby bouncer and yes, the thing almost touches the floor because Jonah is too big for it.

4 comments:

Kelle said...

oh, i love this. you've made a good point. nurturing should be encouraged for both boys and girls because, indeed, we expect daddies to be nurturing too someday. i love that he went with the ethiopian baby. the jolie-pitts would be so proud. does this baby have a name? and lol on the bouncy seat still being out. so is our exersaucer. takin' up all this room in the dining room, but i don't have the heart to put it away yet...it's like putting their babyhood away, and i'm not quite ready.

Unknown said...

at daycare sp adopted a baby and would pick her up every day and take care of her. then a few months ago we were shopping for a friend in the "pink" aisle at target and he would not leave the babies without taking one home. he named her mavis at first, and then cherry. that's what he calls her now. and yes, she's up there right now listening to lullabies with him as he goes to sleep. i find it heartwarming that he's so nurturing to her, but let me tell you some of my friends were giggling and shocked that i would "allow" it. one girl i know went so far as to say - "oh how embarassing. don't worry i won't tell anyone." i felt like she was so ignorant to say something like that. it doesn't fit the "norm" for a little boy, but i think it's a compliment to my mothering skills (not to toot my own horn) that he would want to copy that kind of behavior. so rock on jonah! you feed that baby (and try to learn to change diapers because it may come in handy down the road).

Tisha said...

Actually Jonah wanted one of the babies that had the turning heads but one of those babies heads had gotten stuck. Plus the turning heads wigged me out. They turned too far to the side and I didnt want to have to perform an exorcism on his baby...

also um from what I could see Only the "Ethiopian" babies at Target were on clearance. Sad.

What do you think, should Baby be named Zahara, Angelina, Shiloh, or Vivienne? None are very easy for J to say...

Meghan - go ahead and toot your horn loud and proud! :-) I love that sweet pea has baby that he takes care of!

Anonymous said...

Oh man he's so cute!!!!